Monday, August 08, 2011

Fruit that Remains

I planted two cherry trees two years ago. This year there was "fruit!" Well sort of. There was actually one cherry. That one cherry didn't ripen but fell to the ground still green. I'm disappointed but I'm not destroyed because I know something about trees and fruit: two years is not long enough to see whether a tree is going to bear fruit. It takes more patience than that. They tell me that it can take 5-7 years before a tree starts bearing! So, I'm not giving up...yet.

Jesus had hope for fruit from his followers too: "You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you." Their early ministry with Him, was "sort of" fruitful. There were glimpses of glory but there were other times when Jesus was exasperated with their progress. (Remember hearing Him say, "Have I been so long with you and yet..." Jn. 14.9). But later there was fruit that remained. In fact it's still remaining: a world-wide movement that is alive and well on every continent!

So don't give up! Fruit may yet come:
  • from changing diapers and piles of laundry
  • from prayer to find that someone to share life with 
  • from a business venture that you love and are faithfully serving others with it
  • from generosity you have sown into God's Kingdom
  • from teaching God's Word to blank stares in your living room
  • from hours of marriage counseling together
  • from a 100+ resumes 
I'm not giving up on my dream of a cherry pie from my backyard...yet. Maybe it's not time for you to give up either.




1 comment:

Amanda said...

Wow!!! I needed to hear this!