Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Mishpaha

There is a danger in the dominant theme of modern Christianity with the emphasis on individualism. We emphasize the freedom of conscience, individual priesthood, personal devotion, private confession—could it be that we have come to see ourselves as self-sufficient believers? The end result can be this: “The Lord spoke to me…and you shouldn’t question it.”

I recently picked a book back up: "Our Father Abraham: The Jewish roots of Christian Faith" by Marvin Wilson. In it he talks about the Hebrew word for family: mishpaha. For the Hebrews, this was more than Mom and Dad. It included the larger family: distant cousins, uncles and aunts. Wilson's premise is that Christianity has lost this idea in its western pursuit for individualism.

I had the mishpaha who helped me learn what it meant to follow Christ. That being said, I grew up in a church where grace was not really understood. Some parts of it weren’t healthy. But other parts were. There were older women who knew Jesus, who loved His Word and His presence. They knew God was holy and they had a passion to please Jesus. They walked as an example and even though I never told them, I watched them. Their input into my life was real. There was sacred influence and my eyes were on them.

I can remember specifics. I remember Ronnie who taught the Jr. High boys class during VBS. I remember how when we made a mess in the front lawn of the church, and the pastor was irritated, Ronnie helped us clean up the mess and said, "Pastor, we'll take care of it." He covered for us. I remember Sis. Latham (I still don't know her first name!) my S.S. teacher who taught us how important it was to memorize scripture, how she had the S.S. class to her house and played board games with us and laughing so hard she would cry. I remember my parents too. But I remember my Jr. High class and the teacher who taught us to pursue the Lord’s presence. I remember one prayer meeting I can never forget where I was changed. I can remember the room, where my teacher knelt in prayer. I can see my buddies crying out to the Lord. Here’s what I mean friends: We're not individuals. We're in desperate need of the mishpaha. Paul: “Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us.” That’s what I did. That’s what they are doing. And that’s what we should do.

Are you living in a way that those who watch should imitate? If the next generation imitates and follows your example, what kind of church will there be?

4 comments:

Gary Hunt said...

Good post, Pastor Shawn... I think you're right about the dangers of individualism in the church. Maybe its the "American" in each of us that causes us to lean that way...

Wesley Sargent said...

Pastor Shawn,

Just to be clear, you are not talking about "collective salvation", right?

Shawn Craig said...

absolutely not, Wes. Just emphasizing the real need for interdependence. In Christianity, "family" gets a whole new meaning.

Wesley Sargent said...

I knew that, just wanted to be sure it was clear. There's been a lot of talk about "collective salvation" lately. Do you think it's a topic that you might expose at church some time?

I'm with you, I enjoy the family we have available to us at SCCC. They help us through the valleys and stand with us on the mountain tops.