Monday, August 30, 2010

Encounter Week Recap

Encounter Week exceeded my hopes. I wasn't sure how things would go with mostly home-team ministry, but real encounters took place.

  • Public reading of Scripture - We made it through the Bible as one by one, people came and read the Bible openly in the sanctuary. It took us ~57 hours. We couldn't have finished without Jeff LaMotte who when he came at 5:30 on Saturday, we were only at Eph. 1! He finished the Bible even though it took him over four hours!
  • Elder-led prayer on Wednesday - I was grateful for the leadership our elders demonstrated. At different points, I found myself thanking God for depth of devotion and attention to Scripture that they modeled, as well as humility and transparency--such an important value for us here at SCCC.
  • Night of Praise - Pr. Scott and the team led us into a evening of passionate praise and worship. We ended with our shoes off in worship. What a night.
  • Sunday morning w/ Pr. Jim Stern - Jim's message on Building a culture of encountering God was right in line with what God has been saying to us. What an energetic guy! Glad to have him in St Louis leading a great church in West County. 
  • Holy Spirit Service (Sun. eve) - As so often happens, good things come to those who wait. After many came forward to receive fullness of the Spirit, some lingered. The band played for another 1.5 hrs! People were changed, impacted and filled. 
Many thanks to our C.M. teams and Music and a/v teams who pulled long hours this week.You made a difference for eternity!

I've heard many reports of God-encounters in the Word and Spirit. If you've heard any good reports, let me hear from you.

2 comments:

Julie Kreke said...

Such a refreshing week! Simply amazing...

Jackie said...

I just want to say that the Friday night service was exactly what I needed. When Pastor Shawn had us give up our burden to the Lord, I felt like I was actually able to do it this time. I've told God my heart numerous times, but I was able to give Him control and submit to His will thanks to Pastor Shawn's guidance. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being open to the Holy Spirit.