Thursday, January 29, 2009

simpli-fried

We're into day 5 of a week long media fast and trying to simplify our lives by clearing the mind. I've been hearing various reports of how it's impacting everyone. I'd have to say that most are surprised by how dependent they are on media--a little shocked at feelings of withdrawal. Some have entered the fast at different levels. I asked everyone to start with no TV and go from there. Many others have gone from there to no internet, even a few cell phone fasts! Several have expressed frustration regarding being creative with family time. (Hence the title of this post!)

As you can see, I haven't gone totally internet free but I've tried to cut out surfing the web for fun's sake. But I wanted to log on here and record a few thoughts for review later.

As for me, I can't say I've had any moments of glory during the fast. I can relate to what Monty Schrunk said on Sunday...how sometimes when there is no noise, our thoughts feel like they are closing in on us. But I know this is part of the process and how important it is in these moments to invite the Holy Spirit in...to walk through the garden of my heart and identify what needs to go.

I'm already excited about Sunday. I think after a week of media cleansing, people are going to come in to worship with clearer minds! I can't wait. Michael O'Brien (singer/songwriter) is going to be with us. It should be a great day---then later in the day we'll return to media---can't miss the Super Bowl. Go Br. Kurt!

No comments: