Thursday, February 12, 2009

Why I'm hopeful regarding our new President

We're into the first few weeks of a new administration. Those on the left are hoping he'll be the new man who will promote their agenda. Many on the right side of the spectrum are mostly dismal. While as a Christian, I can find several issues with which to disagree with our new President, I have been thinking about reasons to stay hopeful:

  • I am hopeful because President Obama did not cancel his invitation to Pr. Rick Warren from his inauguration ceremony. This showed some courage on our President's part and I am hopeful that relationship will bear some fruit.
  • I am hopeful because this President seems to be really in love with his wife. I see genuine affection between the two of them. What a different model for black America than rappers!
  • I am hopeful because this President may inspire hope for those like himself who overcame being abandoned by his father, drug abuse as a teen, to become a law professor and eventually the President of the United States.
  • I am hopeful because the majority of Americans did not allow color to be a deciding factor in this race. In my view, that is a good thing for a nation which 50 years ago still had different drinking fountains for blacks. Racism has been dealt a strong blow.
Our nation needs hope. I can see reasons for hope and although my trust is ultimately in God, I refuse to give in to fear.

Lastly, I am grateful for President Bush who has declared his faith in Christ, stayed true to one wife, and served our country for the last eight years.

By the way, I'm committed to pray for our president no matter what he does. That's not an option on the table. It's a commandment. (1 Timothy 2:1-4)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. As a conservative, its not easy. Those are very good points.

I like these blogs!