Wednesday, January 02, 2019

My Best Reads of 2018



So I'm sharing what were my best reads for 2018. Since I try to mix things up by reading classics as well as books more recently published, you may find some of these already on your shelf. 
  • The Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul. I confess I haven't read Sproul until now, after his passing. After listening to a few podcasts and finding his insight into scripture deep and insightful, I thought his books might sound like a professor with his seminary students. I was wrong about this one. From the first page, I felt like he was inviting me to discover the treasure that he had found. 
  • Twelve Years a Slave by Solomon Northup . I didn't want to read this book. Raised in the South, I know how dark racism can be. But this is a book everyone needs to read. It's difficult to fathom the kind of atrocities that were committed against African-American slaves right here on American soil. This is our history. We need to be reminded so we don't repeat the past. 
  • How to Lead When You're Not in Charge: Leveraging Influence When You Lack Authority by Clay Scroggins. Great book for an attitude adjustment about your job. We read this as a staff and found it incredibly accessible and helpful. Whether you think you're in charge or not, you answer to someone even if it's a board. 
  • The Unquenchable Flame by Michael Reeves. A concise overview of the reformation. After you read this book, the skirmishes in the Christian church today will seem like powder-puff football. Action-packed. Doesn't read like dry history. 
  • Till We Have Faces. Novel by C.S. Lewis. Enough said. 
Honorable Mention:

No comments: