Wednesday, September 09, 2009

"Don't listen to PCD's version?"

Normally, I don't give the naysayers out in cyberspace the airtime they long for. But this one I can't resist. I happened to see some comments on our new single "Revelation Song." (Btw, the single is #1 in Christian radio again this week for which we are extremely grateful!)

One loyal fan of Jennie Riddle (writer of the song) posted a comment something like this: "Please don't listen to PCD's version of this song. They are getting the credit that Jennie deserves." Hmmm.

Now I happen to know Jennie. And I know as I writer myself a few things this commentator doesn't seem to get. There is no greater joy for a composer than for multiple artists and churches to be singing your song. At some level, you don't care who is singing it! You're just grateful that someone is connecting to the song, that it's getting an audience that it didn't have before.

I think the words of the apostle Paul apply here: "But what does it matter? Nothing matters except that, in one way or another, people are told the message about Christ, whether with honest or dishonest motives, and I'm happy about that. Yes, I will continue to be happy" Philippians 1.18 gwt.

Get a grip. The point is this: the message of Christ is being published and "I'm happy about that."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shawn, I couldn't agree more with you.The message of Christ is the most important issue here. Also what you failed to mention because of your humble nature is the fact that you wrote a song one time (maybe one of the best songs of all time) In Christ Alone. Which was later recorded by Michael English,Who did a great job on it I might add. I've noticed that a lot of Christian songs are recorded by multiple artists.So in closing I would just like to say Congratulations on a fantastic album .

Hebrew Mom said...

I've never blogged before and never had a desire to do so until now. I write this hoping to encourage a fellow believer.

I'm thankful for PCD's recording of the "Revelation" song and particularly the video of the three of you commenting on the song.

The past few months have been one of the most difficult times of my life (exceeded only by the time period following the death of our son). I have felt as if I were in a downward spiral - unable to pull myself out of it. I had become consumed by thoughts of how I had failed as a mother. Repeated assurances from my husband and children didn't help. Study of the Scriptures hadn't helped. It seemed I could only focus on the things that I could have done a lot better; the pain and regret were crushing. There were Scriptures and Biblical principles I knew, but didn't seem to be able to appropriate them.

When I heard "Revelation" song on the radio, it did so much good for my heart that I wanted to look up PCD's website. When I watched the video of the three of you talking about the song, it felt as if my eyes were being opened to so basic a truth, but one so profound. It literally felt as if a weight were being lifted off my shoulders. The more I magnify myself, the bigger my faults and flaws become and I become engulfed (like Peter when he started to look at the storm rather than Yeshua). But the more I focus on the Creator, the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world, and magnify Him, the more I see of His greatness, majesty and perfection. Magnifying myself will only bring heartache, but magnifying Him who is worthy brings joy that is liberating.

I know it seems like something so elementary in a Christian's life, but it was something that I didn't seem to be able to recognize or had forgotten until I saw that video. I feel like I've turned a corner now.

Thank you so much for your words. Maybe you haven't thought much more about what you said that day on the video, but I hope it will be an encouragement to a fellow believer that those words helped someone else so much.

Thank you for being sensitive to God's leading you in your words.

BTW, I saw in one of your blogs that you're from NW Louisiana. I'm also from North Louisiana.

Thank you again.

Anonymous said...

Shawn, I believe you put it very well. Keep the great work up, brother. Glory goes to God, not us!

Anonymous said...

Shawn,
I agree that the critic is missing the big picture here. I've seen and heard you guys in concert and via recordings and will testify that I always sense you sing from sincere, passionate hearts for God and others. Please keep doing what God's called you to do, being what He made you to be (I Cor 15:58). It's been a powerful influence and encouragement to me and several friends ever since you guys started recording PCD stuff seventeen or eighteen years ago. God bless you. - Steve Morrison

Wendy said...

God Bless PCD for the great songs and messages. I pray God keeps using your group for HIS Glory!!! I saw PCD at POA in Alexandria, La. The presence of God was amazing in that place that night!!

I often put in your cd's or play my MP3 player loaded with your song's.

Keep up the great work!!!