Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Downpour: Tools not Toys

Great weekend. We wrapped up our annual retreat on the Holy Spirit on Saturday. Dale Evrist from Nashville spoke and I believe he helped some people. The theme on Saturday was the gifts of the Spirit as "tools not toys." Important to understand.

I have been saying this and was glad to hear this affirmed by someone else. Many look at the gifts in 1 Cor 14 as gifts which are resident. Rather these are "owned" by the Holy Spirit, not us. I don't own the gift of healing. But the Holy Spirit can in His wisdom sovereignly give me a gift of healing--not for myself, but to be given away to someone who needs it! The gift isn't for me but for whom I might be praying for!

If we don't understand this, some will decline to pray for someone who needs healing giving the reason: "I don't have the gift of healing. You need to contact "Brother Jack" who has that gift." While some may seem to be used more frequently by the Holy Spirit with a particular "tool of the Spirit" this doesn't mean that the Holy Spirit won't use you at a given moment. If you are there and Brother Jack isn't, expect that the Holy Spirit may use you.

These gifts in 1 Cor 14 are different than those mentioned in Romans 12. Romans 12 are gifts the Father wired you with when you were born. They can be used for good or for selfish reasons. (Just consider those with the gift of government!) The gifts of the Father are "inherent" in the individual and would in my view be those gifts that remain. These gifts may be those referred to by the Scripture, "For God's gifts and his call are irrevocable." (Romans 11.29, niv)

Saturday, Pr. Dave and Pr. Ryan led a session where people prayed for one another and waited for the Holy Spirit to minister. People were encouraged and blessed in these circles of prayer. That's the idea: the members edify and build each other up by the Holy Spirit as He gives them tools for the moment as needed.

4 comments:

Angela Ordaz said...

Downpour was certainly insightful! I feel like understanding was imparted to me in a new way. So blessed to be a part of such a Truth honoring church. Keep the truth coming brother!

Brother Marty said...

Awesome reflections. It's true that the Holy Spirit chooses whom to use and how. May we all be open to the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

nicholeagers said...

I have never heard it taught like that. It makes me sad that I've not read the Bible enough to find out what the Bible says for itself. Thank you for sharing this, we missed it last weekend.

Anonymous said...

Pastor Shawn,
We are just lovin our new church home! Thanks for all you and the staff at SCCC do. We look forward to years of worship and fellowship with the SCCC family!