Thursday, July 02, 2009

I Can't Remember the Sermon Title But...

I was raised in a church in a small rural community. The pastor was a red-faced Irishman who preached with passion. I knew he loved God and he loved me but I was sure he didn't like me much. Later, I realized this was probably only because he didn't have the capacity to communicate feelings to people he loved.

He wasn't a college grad so his messages were simple and included a lot of "you had better listen to God" themes. (I'm not mocking, just trying to give a picture of what church was like for a kid in rural NW Louisiana.) I'm actually grateful for some of that respect for God that he conveyed although I can't remember one illustration or sermon title.

The comments I distinctly remember from years of listening are few. But one sticks in my head. He talked about his calling and hope for us. In that context he said, "Today, I crawled around the border of this sanctuary, praying for you all." I never forgot that.

Which do you remember? Do you remember full messages? An explanation of a phrase of Scripture? A title? An illustration? Or just a feeling?

2 comments:

Stormin said...

All I remember in my small church was "time is short" "get your life right"
Dont remember any sermon titles.

My grandparents were great examples in the church. Always helping people. Not everyone in that church was like that.

It was amazing later on to go to a church filled with the Holy Spirit.

Unknown said...

Brother Gerald...
"the worst enemy of greatness is 'good'"

Pastor Dan...
"note takers are history makers"
"do it right the first time" (a series on purity)
he also made me memorize chapter 4 of Philippians when I was 14 and it has changed my life

Pastor Duane...
"a little bit of stress is healthy living"