Monday, June 01, 2009

How much do I need to defend God?

God is on the witness stand. The accusers have lined up:
  • God does not explain why He does what He does
  • His followers are sometimes mean and vicious
  • His laws are too restrictive
  • He allows bad things to happen
The church has been called on to defend God. So we do what we can. There are some amazing and bright minds who have dedicated their lives to that purpose: Ravi Zacharias and William Lane Craig are the top two on my list. I admire their knowledge of scripture and efforts to reason with the post-modern mind.

There is a place where questions still remain however, and that is where faith still stands. Because I believe in an omnipotent God I also believe that He knows things I don't. If we could explain everything God did and does, wouldn't we be God? His ways are higher. His thoughts are higher...not by earthly measurements but by heavenly. How much higher? Start with the closest galaxy for starters.

“Faith is deliberate confidence in the character of God whose ways you may not understand at the time.” (Oswald Chambers)

No comments: