Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Descent to Greatness

I am still reading Billy Graham's autobio. (It's 784 pp!) I've been struck by his vulnerability and humility. That's usually the case with truly great people; they "descend into greatness."

As a prelude to his first London crusade, the press was giving him a tough time. The prospects were doubtful. Here's a quote: "In my entire life, I had never approached anything with such a feeling of inadequacy as I did London. If God did not do it, it could not be done." It turned out to be wildly productive---jammed stadiums, thousands of conversions, some very high profile. But it began with a sense of inadequacy.

Are you feeling inadequate? It could be an opportunity for God to show up big time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Shaun,
This is Marissa Collier I attend SCCC. Anyway, just wanted to let you know the words you speak are so much stronger than anyone I have ever heard speak the Word. Not just the word but the way you and pastor Dave speak is so true, passionate. It is amazing how in a moment you are feeling a certain way and thinking certain things and them pow you say something that really hits home. That is what I felt when I just read this blog! I always feel inadequate, like I cannot get good enough. And I guess God appreciates this. I hope anyway. With this said, I am not perfect by all means, but your words make everyone want to continue to never ever give up. Thank you pastor shaun for being one of God's finest!!!!

Unknown said...

Billy Graham has a skewed view of God and His Kingdom.
Check on youtube and listen for yourself, he espouses a "wideness" to God that says all people have Jesus in their heart, will make it to heaven, including unbelievers.
Maybe he knew God once...but, search for his comments with Robert Schuller...so sad.