Thursday, June 11, 2020

TAKE THE LOVELY TRAIN



I'm reading my Bible and after reading a chapter I realize I don't remember one thing I've read. My mind is checking off a list of to-dos. I'm writing this now and fighting to stay focused because it's late in the day and there is a collision of conversations. One man is fearful because of the riots near their home. Another is caring for his wife who has chronic issues from kidney stones. A pastor is emotionally spent from the divisions in his church as a result of COVID--between those who won't wear a mask and those who shame them. 

How can I hold my mind together? What am I to do? 

Mental illness may become its own rising pandemic. I've watched those who suffer. I've seen the devastating effects. It's heart-breaking how some are limited by their minds in the simliar way as someone limited by their legs, arms or heart. (I'm not minimizing the effects of mental illness, just drawing an analogy.) So we bear with them. We encourage mental health. And we pray for healing.

But there are levels of mental illness. All of us could stand to get healthier in our mind. In some ways, we are all mentally ill. Even a Christian, although saved by grace, still deals with a body and a mind that is not immune to damage done by Adam's fall and his sinful sons and daughters. Including me. 

What am I to do?

I've been challenged and comforted by Paul's words to the Philipppians. Under house arrest and in less than desirable circumstances, his letter to them is marked by joy. Before he closes his letter, he writes, 

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. (Phil 4:8)

His "finally" statement, gives some of the best practical advice to holding yourself together when the world is falling apart. Here, he points to the battle in the mind and how to win it. Six whatevers: true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable. And two summary adjectives: excellence and praiseworthy. 

We could talk about each one, but it may be enough to say this: 

In prayer, God promises His peace as a GUARD. But it's my responsiblity to GUIDE my mind.

One of the most searched for passages in the Bible is found in vv.6-7. (Phil 4:6-7)

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

The peace that is promised to guard your mind, is not guaranteed security against stray thoughts. My spirit may be safe and secure. But my body, including my mind, is still under the effects of the Fall.  A guarded mind still needs direction. It can't be a blank whiteboard. It may be guarded, but it needs to be guided. 

So I leave the local grocery store and find a Taylor Swift song on repeat in my head. I don't even know the song. But I remember it because it was playing in the store. "Uh-oh, uh-oh, uh-oh. You need to calm down. You're being too loud." Now, no offense to the Swift-lovers out there. Although I think she's incredibly talented, none of her songs are on my playlist anywhere. But the song plays incessantly in my head until I'm exhausted from the mental gymnastics of trying to stop it. Even though she's telling me, "I need to calm down." 

The only way to stop the song is not to scream, "Stop it." Rather, the solution is to interrupt the song by guiding my mind toward another song. I look at my playlist of favorite songs on my phone. I click PLAY. Five minutes later, a different song is bouncing in my head. What did I do? I guided it by listening and appreciating the music of another. I think this is what Paul means when he writes, "think on these things." He could've said, "Don't think about whatever is untrue, dishonorable, unjust, impure, etc." But I don't just need to know about THOSE things. I need a list of "these things" to think about. 

One of the perks that I find in major metros like NYC is the subway system. It's inexpensive, usually prompt and I can read while I ride. But if you're new to the idea, it's hard to understand the routes. Sometimes, my wife and I have hopped on the wrong one and realize we're going toward uptown when we wanted to go downtown. The only way to change the destination is to "get off at the next stop.” Why? It’s taking me somewhere I don’t want to go. And since she’s riding with me, I am concerned with her safety. I’m her guardian. She could say, “No, I’m riding on this way.” But because we're together, she guides herself with my help toward the exit and reentry onto another train. 

That’s the peace of God. When He’s riding with me, guarding my mind, he will tell me: “Shawn, that train of thought is going to take you somewhere you don’t want to go. You've been there before. You know where this is going." 

Like this scenario. You have a conversation with a friend. You “stew about it.” You rehearse it. You say to yourself: “I can’t believe they said that. I bet they’ve been talking about me behind my back.” And for a second, another voice says quietly, “Stop this kind of thinking. This is not going to end well.” But this thought leads to that thought and suddenly, you’re fuming, "I’m gonna give them a piece of my mind.

But what you’re really doing is losing another kind of "peace." When I cease to guide my mind, but allow it to get on whatever train that is sort of true, a half-truth or completely dishonorable, then I've not only lost peace for the present, peace has left the building! Left my mind entirely. Left behind at the last stop where the other trains left the building.

What are we to do? Get off at the next stop and choose a different train. Go the other direction. Because I want to go the direction God’s peace is going.

Let's make it practical. When I’m frustrated with pastoring, sometimes I think, "I should just resign.” I’ll get on a train of thought called PITY. “No one appreciates me. It’s so hard to pastor.” But I see the destination. I know where PITY train ends: at a party by myself. So I may choose to get off the PITY train and get on the train called “praiseworthy" and think on those things that saints and angels praise. 

When I’m frustrated with my wife, and I see the train coming that’s named FRUSTRATION. I know its ultimate destination. I know the last stop of Frustration train is futility! But, with the God of Peace and His help, I interrupt the schedule, and I imagine how life would be without her. I get on the train called LOVELY. I think about the best hugs in the world, or the lovely thought of seeing her get so happy when she watched the baby Cardinal take wing on his maiden voyage.

I set my mind on those things and I look over and the God of peace is with me--riding with me. Like a good friend He says, “Isn’t this a great adventure!”

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you. (Phil 4:9)

Who is this God of peace? The Lord Jesus Himself--who is altogether true, honorable, just, pure and lovely. And so His Father and the Holy Spirit. These things are true of God Himself. And although God and Scripture isn't all we should think about, it’s a great place to start in keeping my sanity when the world is falling apart. Take the lovely train.  

1 comment:

SusieQ said...

Awesome words. thank you and I think I'll take the lovely train.