Tuesday, January 13, 2015

21 DAYS - DAY NINE "Do I really have to pray for my enemies?"

DAY NINE – January 13
DO I REALLY HAVE TO PRAY FOR MY ENEMIES?

 Daily Reading: Gen. 17; Matt. 5:38-48

“But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you…” (Matthew 5:44 ESV)

I love people - all different kinds. I love the uniqueness of cultures, the differences in personality and individuals. But people can also disappoint and deeply hurt.

I recall one instance as a young pastor on staff and being maligned behind my back. This person was kind and friendly to my face; but when she was with another group, she spoke hurtful things about my leadership. I prayed that God would resolve the situation and defend me. But He didn’t.

While I was sharing the woes of this with a prayer partner who didn’t know the person, my prayer partner asked, “Have you tried praying for your enemy? That may be the way out of this trial.” Well, if you mean praying that God would transfer her to another church so she could be a blessing elsewhere…then Yes! But I knew the question was asking something deeper of me. Was I praying on a regular basis that God would bless her? I knew the answer.

At this part of Jesus’ sermon, something in us rises up to say, “Surely He doesn’t mean my enemies.” But Jesus does mean my enemies and yours. Because He knows what happens when we pray for our enemies.
As I began to pray for this enemy of mine, things began to change. I can’t remember this lady repenting or retracting her words, but I do remember the pain I had felt began to lessen. Instead of angst and resentment, I began to feel compassion for this person. No, not the first time I prayed. But little by little, the iceberg in my heart began to melt.

Praying for your enemies may or may not heal the relationship, but it will heal your heart.

Who is your enemy? Who hurt you? Are you praying for them? If not, begin today.
Prayer:  Jesus, you loved your enemies and prayed for them and for that I am grateful - because I was once one of them. Give me the love I need to follow Your example. Holy Spirit come. Reveal the icebergs in my heart and melt them with Your holy fire. I bless ________ who hurt me. I pray that _________ will experience the width, the length, height and depth of Your love and be filled to the measure with You.

FOR FURTHER STUDY:

What’s the deal with the awkward subject of circumcision in Genesis 17?
In Genesis 17, God asks something of Abraham that may seem odd to the 21st century mind. In Gen. 17:10 & 13, God says to Abraham, “This is My covenant which you shall keep, between Me and you and your descendants after you:  Every male child among you shall be circumcised…and My covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant.”

God has a purpose in everything He asks of us. And Abraham did as he was commanded. For generations to come, it was the sign that you were a Hebrew - a child of the covenant.

The word covenant, if you recall, means “to cut.” God had affirmed His covenant in chapter 15. Now it was Abraham’s turn to give a sign of His covenant with God. But why this sign? Couldn’t God have asked them to cut their ear lobes or something?

Let me submit some practical thoughts:
  • Circumcision affected the most private part of a male. God’s covenant is deeply personal, yet physical, in its symbolism.
  • Circumcision indicated a link between God and man’s sexuality. If a Hebrew man considered entering into sexual sin, there was a mark (a constant reminder) that he was to live as God’s son, both in his heart and in his sexuality. God’s covenant with us impacts our sex life.
  • Circumcision was a permanent mark which could not be reversed. Once a son, always a son. This communicates the permanence of God’s covenant.
In the New Testament, we have a clearer understanding of God’s purposes in circumcision as we study passages like these:

When you came to Christ, you were "circumcised," but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcision - the cutting away of your sinful nature. (Colossians 2:11 NLT)

But a Jew is one inwardly, and circumcision is a matter of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter. His praise is not from man but from God. (Romans 2:29 ESV)

Don't forget that you Gentiles used to be outsiders. You were called "uncircumcised heathens" by the Jews, who were proud of their circumcision, even though it affected only their bodies and not their hearts. (Ephesians 2:11 NLT)

Questions for study:

What does circumcision say about God’s view of human sexuality?
In Colossians 2:11, what are the implications of hope by the circumcision that Christ performs in cutting away our sinful nature?

From Romans 2:29, what do we see as the danger in religious observances?

Grace to you,

Pastor Shawn

Copyright © 2015 Crosspoint, All rights reserved.


unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences 

No comments: