Tuesday, January 06, 2015

21 DAYS - DAY TWO


Day Two – January 6

Daily Reading: Gen 7-8; Mat 3
Memory Verse: Matt 3:11 NKJV

“I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.”

You’ve probably made some New Years’ resolutions. I’ve made some too. Most will be forsaken or forgotten within a few weeks. But some will stick. How can we make real change stick?

In Matthew 3, John distinguishes himself from Jesus with the words, “He who is coming after me is mightier than I.” John was also known as John the Baptist because he baptized so many, signifying a fresh start and repentance. As people heard him preach, they recognized their need for change and were water baptized. Great step. Important decision! But what John couldn’t do was effect that change beyond dunking them in the water. This is why John in effect says, “Jesus is stronger than I am. Jesus is going to not dunk people with only water, but with the Holy Spirit and fire. That Holy Spirit will live in them and bring about true change as it burns up the junk that needs to go.”

Hear this: New Years’ resolutions toward spiritual long-lasting change are impossible without the Holy Spirit. That’s why religion by itself fails to change people. And that’s why Jesus is stronger than John the Baptist! John couldn’t make people into new people. But Jesus can change your life through the Holy Spirit’s power!

Are you depending on Jesus and the help of the Holy Spirit? Or are you trying to muscle your way through the exercise of spiritual disciplines like prayer, Bible reading, giving or fasting by sheer willpower? It won’t work. The will of the flesh, your natural inclinations, are stronger than your will! But Jesus is stronger than John the Baptist and He is stronger than your willpower! Are you leaning on Christ and the Holy Spirit for real change in your life?

Prayer: Father, thank you that Jesus is stronger than I am. You have given us the Holy Spirit to change us from the inside out. So do it. Burn out the garbage in my heart that needs to go. Fill me again with the Holy Spirit.

For additional study: Why was Jesus baptized, even though He was God’s Son?

“Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” (3.15)

In Matthew 3, John argues with Jesus when He asks to be baptized. Why? John feels unworthy. “I need to be baptized by You, and are You coming to me?” (3.14). Yet Jesus asks John to go ahead and do it NOW. (3.15) It’s like Jesus is saying, “Maybe what you say is true: I should baptize you. But this is the right thing to do here and now. So let’s get on with it!”

There is a “now” time for repentance and baptism. Some people put it off. We excuse ourselves or procrastinate with, “someday” or “I don’t feel ready.” But let me ask it like this: “If Jesus believed in a “NOW” time for water baptism, what’s your excuse?” And if Jesus’ purpose includes baptizing you with the Holy Spirit, are you experiencing that?

No comments: