Thursday, January 15, 2015

21 DAYS - DAY ELEVEN "Pray First"

Daily Reading: Gen. 19:12-20:7; Matt. 6:16-34

But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. (Matthew 6:33)

There are mainly two ways to live:  Like Jesus is King or you are king. In the kingdom where you are king, there are pros and cons. The pro is that you are king. The con is that you are king. In other words, you might have power to choose your desires first, but you also are solely responsible and there is no one to pray to if the buck stops with you! Being king isn’t always as fun as it seems.

Like the little boy who was tired of being told what to do and says, “I want to be boss.” One evening at the dinner table, he’d had enough. He determined it was his turn to be boss. So Dad promoted him. “Buster, for the next hour, you are boss.” The boy gleamed. “My day has arrived,” he thought. Then the requests started coming in. Big sister asked if she could go to the mall with her friends. “Oh and by the way, I need a ride and $20.” The boy thought for a minute, looking befuddled. The new “boss” was already in a quandary. Finally, he perked up with the solution. “Go ask your mother,” he piped. Being boss isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

There’s a small thrill of being in charge, but there’s a weight that comes with it! The anxiety. This is what Jesus says it’s like when you are your own God, when you place anything first besides God. What is life like when you are king? Here it is:  Anxiety!

What will I eat? Drink? Wear? How long will I live? Is this sickness serious? Will Islam institute Sharia law here? Will I die alone? Anxiety. Jesus says, “These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs.” (Matthew 6:32 NLT)
       
But I don’t worry about food and clothes, you say. I know I can go to Salvation Army or the local food pantry. And there’s welfare. But do you worry about who will love you tomorrow? Will I get married? Will my kids get into college? Will I die alone?

So Jesus’ solution? It isn’t just “Stop worrying!” It’s to stop being king--and to pray.

TO PRAY FIRST, IS A WAY TO SAY, JESUS IS KING AND I’M NOT. Start making God your first pursuit. Paul said the same thing didn’t he? “Be anxious for nothing. But pray about everything.”  (Phil. 4:6)

What might change if…
--when your child is having trouble at school, you would pray and seek God’s kingdom first?
--when you’re going for an interview, you prayed first not last?
--when you’re making plans for the year, you sought to know God’s plans first?
--when you started each day, you prayed first?

Begin today. Pray first. Make God #1.

Prayer:  Father, so often I have begun our talks with what I want. Today, I begin by asking that You open my eyes to what You want. Cause Your Scriptures to pierce my selfish ambitions and make me aware of Your activity around me. I want to partner with You to accomplish Your will in my days and bring You glory.
       
For further study:  What does Jesus mean when He says, “Therefore, do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble”?

Most concerns, worry and anxiety are not about what’s happening right now but what might happen. What if this headache turns out to be a tumor? What if my son leaves home and I never see him again? What if my wife has an affair? What if my company goes bankrupt? What if I die alone?

Now, because the world is broken and mankind is fallen, these things do happen. But worrying today about what might happen tomorrow isn’t helpful according to Jesus.

Sure, some might use this as an excuse not to plan, prepare or strategize for the future. But other passages like Proverbs 6:6-15 tell us otherwise. The wise man is a man who plans for the future but knows he can’t control the outcomes.

I’ve heard of those who are martyred for their faith. In fact, right now some friends of mine in India are suffering for their faith with public harassment and burglary. I’ve thought, “How will I respond if that ever happens to me? Will my faith be strong enough? Will I remain faithful to Christ?”

What Jesus seems to say here throughout this passage is that God supplies what we need when we need it. He gives us DAILY bread. And here in v.34, He says in so many words, “There is enough trouble for you to face today without worrying about the trouble you’ll face tomorrow. I will supply the grace, the bread, the strength, the love, the faith you need for today. So don’t worry about tomorrow.”
[1]


Grace to you,

Pastor Shawn
 

[1]Some of these thoughts are inspired from content in the sermon by John Piper, “Today’s Mercies for Today’s Troubles,” 9/13/94 http://www.desiringgod.org/sermons/todays-mercies-for-todays-troubles
(Accessed 1/9/2015).
 
Copyright © 2015 Crosspoint, All rights reserved.
You're receiving these emails after willingly providing your information for 21 days of prayer.

Our mailing address is:
Crosspoint
5001 Little Rock Road
St. Louis, MO 63128

No comments: