Thursday, July 31, 2014

How to kill anything slowly…

Maybe it’s just a man thing. But I suspect that it isn’t. Why don’t we ask more questions?

I can’t remember where I read this but here was the concept: Organizations are like people. They start out as children--asking questions and seeking answers,
“Can this be done better?”
”Is there a different solution for this problem?”
“Why do we do this?”

As a result, the organization grows because of its innovation and flexibility. Then, just like children, the organization grows up and gets comfortable. It moves into “if it ain’t broke – don’t fix it“ mode. Growth slows because “We’re grown up. We know this industry.” Bottom line? They stop asking questions and they slowly and sometimes painfully die.
Here's the powerful application to life...
How to kill anything slowly: stop asking questions.
How to kill a marriage? Stop asking beautiful questions like: “How are you, my love? I mean, really, how are you?” “Anything I can help you with, honey?” “How can I pray for you?”

How to kill a child-parent relationship? Just quit asking, “What are you afraid of son? Who’s your best friend? How was your day? How can I pray for you?”

How to kill a conversation?

How to kill an employee’s joy in work?

How to kill a sermon?

A friendship?

Stop asking questions. Stop learning. Stop growing.. and watch it slowly die. Or, breathe some life into those withering, dying things and ask some beautiful, powerful questions.

No comments: