Thursday, March 27, 2014

Are we wasting our lives?

How long have you lived? I don't mean days or years. I'm talking about being alive while you live.

Consider this,
  •     Harris Interactive survey revealed the average eight- to twelve-year-old gamer plays fourteen hours of video games per week [source]
  •     American seniors (65+) watch an average of 47.5 hours TV per week. American adults average 34 hrs per week. [source]  
  •     Number of minutes per week that parents spend in meaningful conversation with their children: 3.5 minutes. [source]

I watch TV too. But my question is: How much of that time is spent really "living?"

“There are those of us who are always about to live. We are waiting until things change, until there is more time, until we are less tired, until we get a promotion, until we settle down / until, until, until. It always seems as if there is some major event that must occur in our lives before we begin living.”   (George Sheehan)

Spend 30 minutes sometime in a quiet place. You fill in the blank:
"I know I'm living when ________________________________."
"I feel alive when _________________________.

No comments: