Monday, January 18, 2010

Fasting Feeds our Hunger

Here we go. Yesterday, we called on our leaders here to begin a 3-day fast and everyone that will to participate in a 24-hr fast. We gave out $1 at the door to everyone in the sanctuary to remind us all that 1 in 6 in the world live on ~$1/day-- an estimated 980 million survive on less than we pay for a cup of coffee. Those dollars will go to help Christians who are hungry in Haiti. This is one reason we fast.

Fasting reminds me of the hunger that many in the world experience everyday. I really have no concept of hunger except when I fast.

Isaiah confirmed this in Isa. 58:6,7 “ Is this not the fast that I have chosen...Is it not to share your bread with the hungry?" When we fast, we share in the suffering of our brothers and sisters in Haiti, India, and Malawi.

As I fast, I have a "growl" from the stomach now and then. It's a reminder of what many others are experiencing around the world.

No comments: