Friday, November 13, 2009

Humility: the way to see clearly


We looked at 1 Peter 5:5-7 on Wednesday and Peter's main subject there seems to be humility. As I was prepping, I realized there isn't a lot written on the subject. Doesn't seem to be a subject for best-sellers! Yet God says it is a valuable attitude and something we should pursue. Two verses are all you need to be reminded of its value: 

"...this is the one to whom I will look:he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word. (Is 66:2)

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time" (1 Peter 5:5)

What if it's true? What if God really looks on those who are humble and lifts them up? I believe it is true. Do you? If it is, why don't we make it more of a priority? Perhaps it's because we don't know how to get there. Pursuing humility is like trying to catch jello. When you think you have it, it slips through your fingers. 

One good find was "Humility" by C.J. Mahaney. He said this, "Humility is honestly assessing ourselves in the light of God's holiness and our sinfulness".

We can't find humility apart from a revelation of God's holiness and the clarity it brings to our own self-image. It is the light of God's holiness that brings awareness. If we avoid Him, we won't find humility. We will be like the guy with the comb-over; everybody knows he's not covering anything--except him. 

I share Mahaney's observation: I'm not a humble man. But I'm in pursuit of humility
 

3 comments:

Wesley Sargent said...

Pastor - Thanks for the good word on this Wednesday night. When I read the Bible, it is a constant reminder to be humble and work towards humility in all things. I love receiving the LORD's grace through being humble, (Proverbs 3:34) because without His grace, I am nothing. Love doing life with you and SCCC!

Jamie Brown said...

Wow...awesome post. Thanks for the challenge. And thanks for not sporting a comb-over. (double meaning intended) ;)

Anita said...

One thing I have learned is that I am a very sinful creature in need of a very forgiving savior. This pride thing can come so easy for me. It's so much easier to pat myself on the back. Often times I know I am wrong are wrong, but refuse to expect the truth because I lack humility. It's so hard to be humble. I love CJ's book and I agree, humility is something I have to pursuit and often times I'm just taking my own sweet time going after it.